SSI Assistant Instructor
Duration: 7-10 Days
Price: 40 000 THB
The SSI Assistant Instructor program provides candidates with the knowledge and training necessary to perform the duties of an assistant instructor. These duties including conducting entry-level scuba training under the supervision of an Open Water Instructor, and independently conducting Scuba Skills Updates, Try Scuba, and Perfect Buoyancy programs.
- Minimum age: 18 years old.
- Have logged at least 60 open water dives totaling 40 hours or more.
- Have the Divemaster active status SSI certification or an equivalent from a recognized training agency.
- Prior to training, candidates must complete the program-specific Training Record, including: Statement of Understanding
- Professional Training Assumption of Risk and Liability Release
- SSI Dive Professional Agreement
All candidates participating in professional level training must have digital copies of the following documents uploaded into MySSI before the final certification(s) can be issued:
- RSTC Medical Statement signed by a physician within one (1) year Proof of CPR training within two (2) years
- Proof of First Aid training within two (2) years
- Proof of Oxygen First Aid training within (2) years
Recommended hours for completion: 35-42.
The number of classes, hours and sessions per day are set by the individual instructor, based on the candidate’s needs, ability and local water conditions.
Requirements For Completion
- Log at least 75 open water dives totaling 50 hours or more.
- Read and complete Sections 1-6, including reviews and assessments, of the Instructor Training Course digital learning.
- Complete Academic Sessions 1-6 as outlined in the instructor manual for the Instructor Training Course. Complete an Assistant Instructor final exam with a passing score of at least 90%.
- Complete the Candidate Water Fitness Evaluation as outlined in the SSI Training Standards if it has been more than six months since the candidate has been evaluated.
- Pass all requirements and evaluations for Practical Application Sessions 1-7 as outlined in the instructor manual for the Instructor Training Course.
Active Status Qualifications
In addition to the programs taught by active status Professional Dive Guides, active status Assistant Instructors may teach, supervise and issue certifications for the following programs:
- Scuba Rangers
- Try Scuba
- Scuba Skills Update Perfect Buoyancy
In addition to the duties performed by an SSI Divemaster, active status Assistant Instructors may also:
- Teach the Open Water Diver academic and pool/confined water sessions (with the exception of emergency ascent skills) under the indirect supervision of an active status Open Water Instructor.
- Directly supervise and evaluate surface skills during open water training dives for the Open Water Diver program under the indirect supervision of an active status Open Water Instructor.
- Register to become a Specialty Instructor for some SSI Specialty Programs.
- Enroll in an Instructor Training Course.
Assistant Instructors Must Not:
- Issue Open Water Diver certifications.
- Independently conduct open water training dives for entry-level scuba training.
- Teach any emergency ascent skills like air sharing, emergency swimming ascents or emergency buoyant ascents.